Skip navigation

How to cross the border with an underage child


During wartime the procedure for crossing the border as an underage child have been simplified.

During this time a notarized permit from one of the child’s parents isn’t needed. The child needs to have a birth certificate or an international passport (even an invalid one)

If these documents are not on hand, one of the child’s parents can enter the child’s personal information into their passport. To do this, they need to contact the nearest territorial division of the State Migration Service of Ukraine. The corresponding mark in the passport identifies the child, confirms their Ukrainian citizenship and allows the parents to take the child abroad.

If the child doesn’t have any documents at all or is a foreigner, border guards accept copies of existing documents or any other evidence of identity.

If the child is accompanied by a relative, such as an aunt, grandmother, adult sister, stepfather, they will need to present:

  • proof of family relationship
  • or a notarized permit from one of the parents, clarifying who is taking the child abroad

If the child or children are accompanied by non-family members, the border guard will deal with every situation individually.

Minors aged over 16 can cross the border unaccompanied.

* Based on information provided by the Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine, the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine, Ombudswoman Lyudmila Denisova and explanations from the law firm Asters – a member of the community “Business without Barriers”.


Was this article helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Sorry, share your impressions with us